Stupid! Stupid! Stupid!

I was making a video – something I don’t do often. I’d propped my phone precariously against a water bottle on an upside-down pot and it was catching too much ceiling and too little face.

Maybe it was because I’d finally gotten the perfect angle for lighting. Or maybe because the phone wasn’t threatening to plunge forward just then. Whatever I was thinking at the time, instead of finding something shorter to use as a base, I grabbed throw pillows from the couch and layered three of them on the slippery wooden seat of the chair determined to raise myself to the right height instead of lowering the camera.

As I hoisted myself to the top of the towering stack, the pillows began to slip.

I clutched at the table and missed. The chair flew in one direction crashing to the floor and I went the other. It would have been a laughable non-event had there not been that concrete pillar directly behind me. As I tumbled, the back of my skull cracked hard against the sharp corner of the square column. YOUCH! I pressed my fingers against the at small mountain that popped up and lay on my side on the floor wondering whether I would pass out, throw up, or have a concussion.

I applied more pressure to the lump and waited for ‘what next?’

When nothing happened, I gently removed my hand from the throbbing mound. It was smeared with blood. I hadn’t counted on that. Okay, time to move. I got up slowly, covering the wound with my palm, pressing, pressing… No dizziness. No nausea. I wondered what the back of my white sweater looked like. A fleeting thought.

In the bathroom, I dabbed at my blood-soaked hair with tissues and doused the gash with alcohol all the while thinking, Dangit! I will NOT let this stop me from recording that video today. I’ve already procrastinated too long.

When the bleeding was under control, I checked my face, the scarf at my neck, the white sweater. All good. Even my hair, from the front, showed no sign of disruption. The pain had localized at the point of my wound but only that was throbbing. I did not have a whole-head ache.

Okay, good from the front. Nobody will know the back of my head is hemorrhaging.

This time I did it right. I put the pillows back on the couch and found a prop that positioned the phone at a lower point. After a few false starts, I recorded a decent video. It wasn’t 100% perfect but certainly good enough under the circumstances.

That done, I unpinned my up-do and examined the damages in detail. It looked like a bad scene in a movie where the killer didn’t quite finish the job. I got in the shower taking care not to touch the golf-ball-sized goose egg, and gingerly rinsed out the matted stickiness until the water ran clear.

As I stood there with hot water streaming over me, I reflected on the fact that I almost never have accidents.

I can’t remember the last time I hurt myself. I’ve learned to be mindful. I only allow daydreams when I’m sitting down. Otherwise, I’m riveted to what I’m doing or where I’m going.

Bali was a veritable gauntlet of potential disasters: pieces of sidewalk wide open to the chasm below, a tree left growing in the middle of the path, or a low branch jutting out just where your head should be. Then, too, there were motorbikes going the wrong way on a one-way street, or zooming on the sidewalk to pass slower-moving traffic. I learned to be constantly on the alert.

San Miguel de Allende with its steep inclines, cobblestone streets, perilous stairways up and down the mountainsides pose equally treacherous circumstances.

But I was at home, fixated on making a video – a very uncustomary activity – and I lost my common sense for a moment. A moment is all it takes. One lapse in judgment, one mindless act…

I woke up alive this morning. I think the back of my head has survived though it’s very, very tender. But let that be a lesson to me! There’s no room for stupidity. Ever! You’re old, Sherry! Be careful. Be mindful. Be present. You were lucky this time…don’t press it!

1. Marlys Gall
    Jan 10, 2022 @ 10:32:55

glad you are ok! how is medical dealt with there? travel insurance or some world cover? have you found where clinic or hospital is? “just incase”. always good to be prepared! Enjoy the week

Liked by 1 person

Jan 10, 2022 @ 23:34:42

There is a hospital very close to me, emergency vehicles always at the ready. Medial care is inexpensive and trustworthy. And in this small community where I’ve landed, there are wonderful women nearby. We look out for each other! Thank you for your concern! I’m in a good place.

2. Doreen
    Jan 10, 2022 @ 11:39:46

Thanks be to your being so far ok. You know my flimsy skull fractured like an egg shell and went into a coma. Spared me not knowing what happened, how got to where found self after amnesia lifted nor knowing much at all. Thirty plus years later I still have life which grows every day.
    Thankful you are all right in mind. Brain is paramount to the body. Feel saddened by your experiece. Recover in a new happy way.

3. Anonymous
    Jan 10, 2022 @ 13:04:40

NOT stupid. Maybe forgetful you’re not 42 anymore😀😀. Glad you’re ok. Sounds pretty harsh. I kept wanting to say ice ice ice but knew by now too late. Perhaps a small reminder to have the name of a doctor who does house calls, a 911-type # and name/# of best hospital all in your phone. With those three, you will never have a mishap again. Heal quickly. Sorry for the pain. Sl

Liked by 1 person

Jan 10, 2022 @ 23:38:53

Hmmm. Thanks for the reminder. I had a doctor in Ubud who did housecalls and I’ve heard others talk about it here, but just didn’t think to get a number. Good advice Sharon! Thanks! And right – once I have that info, I’ll never need it again!

4. ReAnn Scott
    Jan 10, 2022 @ 13:41:08

So glad you have a hard head, my friend.

Liked by 1 person

5. Diane Struble
    Jan 10, 2022 @ 15:18:04

Sorry you hurt your head. Lucky you did not break something. I remember when you had an accident in Bali and I worried for weeks. You messed up your leg and foot so badly that I thought you could easily get a serious infection. Glad you avoided a bad headache under the circumstances of this crashing fall.

Jan 10, 2022 @ 23:45:26

Yes – and that accident, too, was my own fault. I left a heavy door propped in the doorway when I was renovating the house. When unexpected visitors came I happened to be standing too close when they pushed the door to open it. Solid teak about 5 inches thick fell on the instep of my left foot. My leg was fine but that foot! Oh yeah! That was bad! It took a good 6 weeks before I could walk without pain. That was about 8 years ago. This is the only thing that’s happened since and it’s already 95% healed – just a bit of tenderness to remind me to THINK before I create an accident waiting to happen!

6. lindaharris1948
    Jan 10, 2022 @ 15:28:44

Oh, Sherry—we are sisters in stupid right now! My son’s family and I were driving to Durango for snow and skiing on December 17th. On the morning of the 18th, in Lubbock, Texas, my granddaughter and I were out letting the dogs poop and I fell smack dab face first on a curb. Long story short, I did get a concussion and had a baseball-sized mound on my 73 year old forehead. My son took me to the ER.. my granddaughter Elena crying, “Is Yenna going to die?”

My face went purple and my eyes were half closed for a few days. They did a cat scan to determine that there was no brain bleed but said there was no way I could go to high altitude with a head injury. So on top of looking like a monster for a week, I was humiliated and sad for ruining our trip!

I’m still recovering from knee surgery and my gait isn’t quite right. I had turned around to help Elena with a poop bag for the dogs and didn’t see that curb coming in time. Didn’t even have time to try to catch myself. The pain was excruciating for about two hours, then after a shot for pain and one for nausea, I was fine. But we are old and we must e careful. I’m so glad you’re okay!

I am, too. My face is now a sad orange hue and I had to get new glasses but the lump is now a large marble and nothing more.

Jan 10, 2022 @ 23:49:08

Linda! Oh Wow! You really did a number on yourself! I’m so so sorry to hear about your accident. Be sure to give yourself plenty of time for a full recovery. Rest is so important. Don’t underestimate your body’s need for that.

7. Kim
    Jan 10, 2022 @ 21:14:51

Oh my gosh, hope you were ok after that tumble 🙏🏼😘

Liked by 1 person